Part-Time (20 hour) Library Technician Job at City of Homer Alaska – in Homer, AK
Responsible for staffing the public service desk, shelving materials and assisting library patrons.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR ACTIVITIES
1. Prepares circulation area for public use; staffs public service desk on a regular basis; performs circulation procedures and maintains patron confidentiality; responsible for registering patrons, adjusting patron accounts, collecting and/or refunding fines, fees, and donations; shelves materials accurately and maintains shelves in proper order.
2. Instructs library patrons in the process of locating and utilizing library materials, computerized systems, and online databases, including the Internet.
3. Provides reference, research, and reader’s advisory to patrons both onsite and via telephone or email.
4. Assists in management of public computer services and assists library patrons in use of public computers; assists public in the use basic library resources including audio-visual and photocopy equipment; provides maintenance of equipment.
5. Explains and enforces library rules; employs considerable independent judgment to correct inappropriate conduct including handling persons who may be suffering from substance abuse or mental illness and are potentially violent.
6. Assists with serials control; maintains current and back issues of periodicals.
7. Maintains routine logs, statistics, and records.
8. Processes new library materials; mends, cleans, and/or preserves library materials; prepares materials for bindery.
9. Secures building at close of hours.
10. Performs simple janitorial functions as directed.
11. Performs other tasks as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Graduation from an accredited two-year college or equivalent combination of education and training. Minimum of one year recent paid experience in public contact work, preferably in a library setting. Knowledge of standard library functions, methods, and organization; general reference materials and bibliographic search techniques; Dewey Decimal classification system; use of Online Public Access Catalog; Customer service principles and techniques. Experience with Sirsi Unicorn integrated library system and iBistro OPAC desirable. Some knowledge of reader interests and books and authors necessary. Must be proficient in Windows Operating Systems including Windows XP and Windows 2000. Must have working knowledge of Word processing programs, MS Office software programs, including Publisher and Internet; modern office practices, procedures, and machines/equipment, correct English usage, grammar, spelling punctuation, and vocabulary; basic math and alphabetization. Familiarity with audio-visual and data processing equipment desirable.
DECISION MAKING RESPONSIBILITIES/AUTHORITY
Work is performed under general supervision with review of new tasks. Ability to use initiative, good judgment, and work independently to carry out assigned tasks essential.
None. May be called upon to instruct volunteers and/or temporary staff in carrying out tasks assigned to this position.
Constant daily contact with public in person and in answering telephone. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, volunteers, patrons, and others contacted in performing tasks; work effectively as a member of a team; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; understand and carry out written and oral instruction. Low frequency of exposure to hazardous working conditions in dealing with angry confrontational members of the public.
Office environment. Perform detail oriented duties accurately; monitor several tasks simultaneously; organize, prioritize, and finish work assignments independently; work and remain calm and pleasant under pressure; monitor and maintain acceptable patron behavior in library; resolve problems and complaints arising from interaction with library patrons; recognize and respond to potential dangers to patrons and staff; physically perform the essential functions of the job; work a flexible schedule including some evenings and Saturdays and be able to fill in for others who are on leave; remain flexible and positive in a time of continuing change; maintain library in a neat and orderly condition. Physical abilities: required to stand, sit and walk for three or more hours per day; bend and stretch without limitation; lift up to 10 pounds at a time; and push loaded book truck weighing up to 120 pounds.
Company: City of Homer Alaska –
Company Location: Homer, AK